Children’s Dentistry in Grand Rapids
We love treating the whole family!
As a family dental practice, we offer high-quality dental services and treatments to keep you and your family’s smiles healthy and beautiful. We treat patients of all ages and recommend adult patients bring their children with them to get used to the dental office.
As a father of two, Dr. Mulder is great with children and loves caring for their teeth. All of our staff make an effort to help kids feel relaxed and at ease in our office. We have toys in the waiting room and TVs in every patient room to help make their visit more enjoyable.
Your child’s first visit
Children should visit the dentist by their first birthday. It is important that your child’s newly-erupted teeth (erupting at six to 12 months of age) receive proper dental care and benefit from proper oral hygiene habits right from the beginning.
During their first visit, Dr. Mulder will give a brief oral exam and check for any problems. After the oral exam, one of our experienced hygienists will quickly clean their teeth and give them good home care instructions on how to brush and floss their teeth.
Your initial appointments will be spent educating you, the parent, on what is going on with your child’s mouth and will include a screening to catch any bad habits your child has before they can become a dental problem.
We make kids feel comfortable at our office
Dr. Mulder is very gentle and takes his time to make sure that your child is at ease when doing exams or procedures. Our goal is to make your child feel welcomed and at home when they are here, this way they will not have anxiety about going to the dentist’s office, but actually look forward to coming back in the future. We use simple language to teach them all the basics of dental health and explain how to maintain good oral hygiene on their own.
Our services for children
- Cleanings – Our highly trained and experienced hygienists are happy to provide a gentle, thorough cleaning with enjoyable patient education.
- Fillings – In the event of a cavity, we can provide your child with a high-quality filling.
- Crowns – If a deep cavity is present in a baby tooth or a permanent tooth, or if the tooth is otherwise damaged, our stainless steel crowns cover and protect the tooth root while returning normal function to the tooth itself.
- Root Canal Therapy – An infected or abscessed tooth can be treated and saved from extraction with root canal therapy.
- Orthodontics – Dr. Mulder does traditional and ceramic braces and provides early preventive treatment for younger children to help ensure their teeth grow in straight.
- Pulpotomy for primary teeth. When a cavity goes so deep that it spreads to the pulp – that part of the tooth in the middle of the tooth crown – inflammation and discomfort can result. A pulpotomy is done to relieve the pain and to increase the chances of preserving the tooth. The pulp is removed without intruding into the root canal and the opening is filled and restored.
To make an appointment, call 616.455.8400 or click here to request an appointment online.